Getting IBM Bootable Media Creator to run on Ubuntu 12.04

Little update to my previous article on getting BoMC to run on Ubuntu. The Bootable Media Creator allows you to make an iso file with the latest IBM firmware on it, so you can keep everything up to date. You can get the BoMC here.

After trying again with a new install of Ubuntu, I noticed it didn’t quite work the same way. Before all I needed to do is create a /etc/redhat-release file and just run the thing.

With this version, doing the same thing resulted in this error:

/ibm_utl.bin
Extracting...
Executing...

./linmain.sh: 2: ./linmain.sh: source: not found
cp: cannot stat `SYSTEM_SUPPORT_LIST_.xml': No such file or directory
locale: unknown name "="

It still runs but the list of systems in the UI comes out blank, and so it is unusable.

To get this to work:
1. Unzip ibm_utl_bomc_9.40_rhel6_i386.bin to a temp directory.
2. Go sudo su to become root (sudo by itself doesn’t cut it).
3. BoMC uses a different ssl library, so install it by issuing

sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.8
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libssl.so.10

I found that if I didn’t do this step, the application would appear to work, but would hang while trying to download anything.
4. Finally, run ./linmain.sh to start BoMC.

This entry was posted in howto. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Getting IBM Bootable Media Creator to run on Ubuntu 12.04

1. sprue says:

thanks. i also notice there is a cli tool to avoid the tedium of the GUI installer in future. i used:
    ./linmain.sh –iso=build-test.iso –local=workdir –machine-type 7915 –latest –tui –function=uxspi

2. Danger says:

Hello! Thank you for your job. But I can’t write bootable USB key on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS through BoMC 9.66. I get an “Media creation error: Failed to perform dd utility function” error. Can you help?

3. Graham says:

Hi Danger – are you running as root ? It sounds like maybe dd isn’t working because you’re not root?

4. Danger says:

Hi! I am root. After few days of “research” I found logs. In the end of file I can see that:
    [quote]
    BoMC_[Status] 05/31/2017 11:44:27 BootableUSB::CreateUSBKey() starts
    BoMC_[Status] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 BootableUSB::doDD() starts
    BoMC_[Status] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 BootableUSB::unMountUsb() starts
    BoMC_[Status] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 BootableUSB::unMountUsb() ends successfully
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 “mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd4 -nUXLBOOT >stdout.txt 2>&1” fails, and last error message isSuccess. In BootableUSB::doDD()
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 /dev/sdd4: No such file or directory
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 mkfs.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 Doing dd function fails, and last error message is Success. In BootableUSB::CreateUSBKey()
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 BMCreation::BootableUSB::CreateUSBKey() failed
    BoMC_[Verbose] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 /dev/sdd free space: 3911.95 MB
    BoMC_[TimeStamp] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 Create Media USB: /dev/sdd – END
    BoMC_[Error] 05/31/2017 11:44:37 main()::Media creation error: Failed to perform dd utility function
    [/quite]
    And I can’t understand, why this tool tries to make sdd4, not sdd1. Is it work on other linux distros?
    Thank you!

5. Graham says:

Hey – I run Fedora 24 these days and it didn’t work. I had a bit of a go at making a docker image – will try that and get back to you. I think it would be ideal. Do you run docker on your Ubuntu machine?

6. Danger says:

I never tried before. I think it’s better time to start. Waiting for your answer.